Entry #1 September 13, 2010
Today I was nursing Kenny in the bedroom while Joseph trotted around the house finding exciting things to do. I heard him walk in and out of his bedroom and saunter into the kitchen. Cabinet doors started opening and shutting and I wondered what he was getting into. Then I heard the sound of Tupperware on the floor and relaxed. He’d probably be busy for quite a while with all of that. Then I heard a loud scraping noise coming from the kitchen. What in the world was going on in there? I thought back through in my mind of what Joseph could be doing. I remembered I had left a board in there from a crib and got worried. So, I stopped Kenny from eating and ran into the kitchen to see what Joseph was up to. I saw Joseph in the corner, picking up Cheerios and putting them in the trash can. He had opened the cupboard, pulled out the big trash can, pushed it all the way across the kitchen, and was picking up the Cheerios from the floor and putting them in the trash can. After he picked up all the Cheerios he said “huh” in an assertive little tone while nodding his head in his “I did it” way. He then got behind the trash can and pushed it across the floor over to the cupboard. He tried to get it in, but couldn’t. He gave up getting it in the cupboard, and then walked out of the kitchen to find something else to do.
Entry #2 September 14, 2010
Today I took Joseph in for his 15 month check-up. We wheeled the double stroller through the big glass doors and into the white hallways of the new Yale Health Plan. Joseph in his little red Nike shirt, jeans and soft leather shoes trotted behind me. He smiled at everyone and helped push the stroller. We had to (like usual) wait for a while for the doctor to come in and see Joseph. I entertained little Joseph, who was now only wearing a diaper. He loved the automatic faucet and wanted to wash his hands all day long. And then I fed him Kix. He stood in front of me looking up at me with big brown eyes and a held out hand. Uhhhh???!! We accidentally spilled one on the floor and Joseph bent over to pick it up. I quickly grabbed it away. “Joseph, we do NOT eat things off the Health Plan floor. We sometimes eat off of our floor, but not here. This place is germy.” So I picked up the other Kix that had spilled and then gave Joseph a clean one to eat. He looked at me, grabbed the Kix, squatted down with the piece of cereal clutched in one little hand, and looked at the floor. He then opened his palm and watched inquisitively as the Kix rolled onto the floor. Then he picked it up and put it in his mouth.
Entry #3 September 21, 2010
We are constantly surprised at how much Joseph understands. The other day coming home from stake conference I handed Joseph a quarter of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat on the way home. I looked back two minutes later and he wasn’t holding anything in his hands. I gave him a look that said “where is that sandwich?” He looked at me innocently. I gave him a look that said “I don’t really believe that.” Then he looked down at the floor. I followed his eyes and there was his whole sandwich. I looked at him and a slow naughty smile spread across his face. I shook my head and turned back around with an exhilarated feeling. I had just had a whole conversation with Joseph that no one else even knew about.
fun, fun, fun! I can't believe how much fun that age is. I am jealous of all the exciting times that are ahead of you and your twin boys. It won't be long and Kenny will be right there with Joseph.
ReplyDeleteThose are such funny stories!! how cute
ReplyDelete