We had a great time last weekend at Acadia National Park in Maine. It is a BEAUTIFUL place. I told Seth I thought you only saw places like this in calendars. It took us a long 7 1/2 hours to get there (even more the first day because we made a stop to purchase a minivan-- I know it's kind of crazy, but that's the only way it worked out). It was totally worth the drive.
We got into camp at about 11:30 pm, thinking that we would leave the boys sleeping in the car while we quickly set up the tent and beds. It worked for about 5 minutes. Soon I was holding a screaming Kenny and trying to help Seth get the poles in the tent, while Joseph watched wrapped up in a blanket in a campchair. Needless to say, our first night was a little restless. But the rest was wonderful.
The next day we went and hiked along the coast. Seth excitedly went to grab the camera from his bag so we could take pictures. He had made a special effort to charge the battery so we were all ready to go. When he turned it on, we realized that we had left the memory card in the computer. Ahhhh! We had a sad moment thinking we wouldn't get any pictures before we realized that we could probably find somewhere to buy a memory card in the little town close by, which we did. So, luckily you can all see some of Acadia's beauty.
I never knew that Maine was so beautiful. Probably because we always lived so far away, but this is definitely a place worth visiting.
There was one sandy beach to swim on, that had beautiful waves, but the water is really cold. After a few minutes Kenny was shivering, even though he still wanted to be in the water. The sand was beautiful and really fine, but I hadn't realized that fine sand is VERY sticky and hard to brush off of squirming wet babies. They were probably sandy the rest of the time.
Here is a picture of Joseph and Seth on top of our first mountain. It was named the "South Bubble" and was about 600 feet above sea level. That sounds like nothing coming from Utah or Idaho, but it was a pretty decent hike. The boys loved the backpacks, for the most part and they were thrilled that they were hiking a "bubble."
Family picture on top of the bubble. It overlooks a beautiful mountain lake and then you can see out to the Atlantic Ocean. One of Acadia's strong points is that you get mountains and ocean all in the same park. Kenny is wondering what is going on . . .
This is our second hike. It was called Mount Acadia. Seth let me pick the hikes and so I picked one that looked relatively easy on the map. It was only 600 something feet above sea level, and only about a mile long, but when we got going, we realized it was a real hike! The trail went straight up the mountain, and up a few rocks. I was a little nervous at first, but it turned out to be really fun. I have really missed hiking up mountains. We just don't have many here in CT.
Joseph enjoyed being a "mountain sheep" and was thrilled with his little hiking boots we put on him.
Here's the view from on top of Acadia mountain. After we finished our hike we went and swam in one of the lakes, which felt really good.
Joseph and Kenny loved camping. They loved the little camp chairs, sleeping in the "nent" and playing in the dirt.
And a few more random pictures. Do Seth and Kenny look alike??
oooooH, THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!! I hope I get to go there someday. It looks so peaceful and rugged at the same time. i love it.
ReplyDeleteKenny is so big! And congrats on the minivan! I totally want one! This reminds me of when we were both pregnant and hiking at sleeping giant. We sure do miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteso you really got a minivan?? that looks pretty and fun
ReplyDelete