Friday, May 8, 2009

BYU Graduation











Rise and Shout the Cougars are out!
I went back to Utah last week to graduate from BYU after completing a couple transfer and online courses, and student teaching here in Connecticut. It was a blessing that it all worked out so smoothly. I graduated in English Teaching, and my sister Julia graduated in Therapeutic Recreation. We had fun going to commencement together.

Elder Nelson was there and he spoke about how our education and careers are not an end, but only a means to an end. He told a story of when he was in South America at a medical conference. One of his colleagues became ill, and they were hours away from the nearest hospital. He said all of their medical knowledge didn't do them any good without the necessary equipment. His colleague, who was also a member of the Church, asked him for a blessing. He emphasized how important it was to have God's power as well as an education, and that we need to keep in mind that our real goal is to return to our Father in Heaven.

I loved how even as we were all dressed in graduation robes, and amidst all of the pomp and prestige, he could bring things so quickly back into perspective of what is really important.

President Uchtdorf also spoke at commencement. When Julia and I were marching up to the Marriot Center, we came out of the tunnel and turned the corner. There was President Uchtdorf and Elder Nelson, sitting in a line with the other faculty from BYU, about 20 feet away. We must have both looked a little surprised, because he gave us a big smile and waved. In his remarks he commented on what a neat place BYU was where "not only do degrees multiply, but people do too." I wasn't the only one who was graduating pregnant, and there were a lot of pregnant wives there with their husbands. Some dads even carried their little babies while they walked up to the Marriot Center. It was fun to see all of the young families. When he spoke, President Uchtdorf encouraged us to remember three things: First of all, to use our time wisley. He said,

“A wise man once distinguished between ‘the noble art of getting things done’ and ‘the nobler art of leaving things undone,’” President Uchtdorf said. “True wisdom in life, he taught, consists of ‘the elimination of non-essentials.’”

His second piece of advice was to

“Never stop learning; and never stop using what you learn to serve God and your fellowmen,” he said. “I encourage you to continue to pursue as much schooling as possible … There is certainly a need to become an expert in your fields of knowledge. However, there is also a great need to broaden and extend your horizons of learning and interest.”

His last point was to always follow the spirit, whether in educational, vocational, or religious pursuits.

Overall the whole experience was very inspiring. I love BYU! It was interesting being back after being gone for a year. It is incredible how the gospel and knowledge are so closely tied to together.

I was also able to see a lot of family, I finally got to meet my sister Rachel's goats (I didn't know she had seven of them!) and see my little brother's senior recital. He was accepted to the BYU school of music on violin performance. My parents both spoke in sacrament meeting and it was just fun to see everyone. Aunt Miriam threw me a baby shower, and I was able to see Grandma Taylor, and a lot of the Taylor aunts. I thought it was so nice of them to drive down from Ogden. So, the trip was a success and luckily no baby was born on the airplane.

We will be heading back in July with a new little member of our family. We'll see what's more fun: flying on an airplane pregnant, or with a new baby. :) Should be an adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment :-) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love the second picture of you with a big cheesy! Thanks for putting up what they talked about at graduation. Now i don't feel as bad for going boating instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you came it was so fun! Can't wait for July to meet baby sneth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Parley. I was going to put up a really funny one of Julia, but I'll just have to put that on the family blog.

    ReplyDelete