Monday, May 11, 2009

Sleeping Giant








Last Friday, Seth and I drove to a state park here in Connecticut and decided to hike the 1.6 mile trail up to a rock tower. The park is called Sleeping Giant, because it is a huge hill/mountain that looks like a giant laying down. The name always reminds me a little bit of Ender's game with the giant . . .
We started hiking a little after 7:00. There were signs all over that said that the park closed at sunset, and that the gates would be locked (which would be a problem if you parked inside). Needless to say, with our goal in mind, it was impossible to turn back before reaching the top of the trail, even though the sun was sinking lower and lower in the sky. We also noticed that a lot more people were heading down than up. Seth looked a little worried, but neither one of us wanted to quit early. We reached the top and took some pictures and then got worried because we couldn't see the sun anymore, just a red haze over the horizon (hrzn!!). I convinced Seth that I was ok, even though I am 8 months pregnant and we ran the whole way down. We got down in about 15 minutes, and made it out of the gate. I did get a few funny looks from the people we passed on the way down, but it was really fun. Best I've felt in a while!
We also succeeded in making ourselves really hungry so we could go eat steak and ribs. Seth's parents sent us a gift card to Texas Roadhouse for graduation, so we went and ate all the yummy rolls we could and had fun ordering big steaks. (I would have taken a picture, but forgot to take the camera inside). I never order steak at restaurants because its always the most expensive thing, but since we had a gift card . . . (I'd been craving red meats for a little while). (What about their legs . . . they don't need those). Wheet. Then we came back to our apartment and watched Magnificent Seven with Yule Brenner and Steve Mcqueen --Just a classic (Dad, do you like that movie?)
It was a fun night. We'll have to go back to el Sleeping giant when we have more time and more sunlight to explore, but it was really pretty.

2 comments:

  1. haha to the funny looks and red meats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ain't had nuthin but maggoty bread for three stinkin days! haha! That name totally reminds me of ender's game. I love how you ran the whole way down!

    ReplyDelete